Tuesday, September 6, 2011

George Washington Academy

This is my first experience with blogging so be patient with me! I got the call to be interviewed at George Washington Academy on May 16th 2011. While in the interview the principal asked me if I could choose a grade which one would I prefer: 2nd grade, or kindergarten. My whole life I have always wanted to be a 2nd grade teacher. So naturally when he asked me the first thing that came out of my mouth, without hesitation was KINDERGARTEN. Why I said it, I never thought I would understand..until now. That same day the principal offered me the job and I remember feeling so excited! I called my dad and cried tears of joy as I felt and heard how proud he was of me. I called my Mom, Becca, sent out a mass text to everyone in my phone, and posted it on facebook. That night as I laid in bed I realized what I had done. At that moment I never could have realized the stress that would come with the simple words of accepting a job offer. George Washington Academy is a charter school located in St. George, Utah. All of my experience with teaching has been in the public school system and so as I started to learn more and more about charter schools, I became more and more uneasy about my decision. I went to school that last week of Kindergarten and they gave me the keys to my new classroom. It was a DISASTER. The lady who was in there before me, let's just say wasn't thrilled about leaving and didn't clean or take care of anything in the process! If you know me, you know I had a MAJOR panic attack as I sat amidst garbage, unpainted, torn walls, 26 tipped over chairs and tables, unwanted school supplies and kindergarten manipulatives from the dinosaur age. I left that day and cried every night for 4 weeks. I vented to everyone I knew about the mess I had gotten myself into and even applied for about 10 other jobs. However, I should have known better than to doubt my Heavenly Father's plan for me. With lots of help and wonderful sweet words of comfort from those who love me, I slowly became so convinced that this was right where he wanted me, and it only took one second with my beautiful sweet children to realize that even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment